INTEGRITY by Pastor Gordon
In the dictionary, the word integrity means 1) an unimpaired condition, i.e., soundness, wholeness 2) firm adherence to a code of moral values, i.e., incorruptible, honor, 3) the quality or state of being complete or undivided, i.e., completeness. Synonyms of integrity are honesty and unity.
The word integrity is related to what other words? Do they give you a better sense of the meaning of integrity?
The first definition (soundness or wholeness) is most often applied to a structure or a physical object, say the girders in a bridge, an engine block, a building or even a piece of pottery. Can it be applied to a person as well?
Thinking just of the first definition above, what happens to something that does not have integrity?
We frequently think of a man of integrity being honest and trustworthy, but integrity is more than that. Look at the second definition and describe the difference between being trustworthy and being incorruptible.
What does the Bible have to say about integrity?
1. Integrity means treating people fairly and honestly. (Leviticus 19:35-36, Deut 25:15, Proverbs 16:11-13)
2. Integrity is giving your word and keeping it. (Exodus 8:28-32)
3. Integrity will protect you. In Psalm 25, David prays that integrity and uprightness will protect him. How can it? (Psalm 25:21, Proverbs 2:7-8, 10:9, 11:3, 13:6)
4. Integrity is more valuable than riches. (Proverbs 28:6)
5. The Lord will test and judge your integrity. (1 Chronicles 29:17, Psalm 7:8)
6. The Lord hates lies and lack of integrity. (Zechariah 8:16-17)
7. It may be difficult to maintain your integrity. (Job 2:3, 2:9, Proverbs 29:10)
8. Your character can be corrupted by bad company. (1 Corinthians 15:33)
9. Integrity will be rewarded. (1 Kings 9:4-5, Nehemiah 7:2, Psalm 41:11-12)
10. Your integrity should set an example. (Titus 2:7)
Who do you know that you would describe as a person of integrity? What sets this person apart from other people of a similar age and position?
If people who know you were asked for five words that describe you, would integrity be one of them?
What can you do to improve your integrity?
NOTE: if this message encouraged you, we would like to know. Send Pastor Gordon anemail. If you would like a cassette or CD of other messages shared by Pastor Gordon let us know.